Tuesday 30 October 2012

Peach Ponderings

Here is another guest blog for you to read.

My ponderings are peach because I’ve been on an unexpected journey with womb cancer and, as all followers of Kaz’s WCSUK blog will no doubt know, peach is the colour for womb cancer.

I can’t say exactly when the womb cancer journey began for me because who knows when the cancer joined me. Maybe it took a long time to introduce itself, maybe not, but when I finally found out I had a companion I didn’t recognise its name, I knew nothing about it and I didn’t know anyone else who’d been through what I was experiencing. How ironic that, having been taught never to talk to strangers, there I was harbouring one and taking it with me wherever I went. I’d picked up a hitchhiker without realising.

I’ve since found out that approximately 1900 women die from womb cancer each year in the UK and around 8000 annually in the US. I also know that, far from being alone, there is support out there for women who need it. That support is being provided at WCSUK  by other women who’ve been through womb cancer, or by those who’ve lost loved ones to it. It’s no longer as it was when I was diagnosed, I’m no longer alone and you don’t have to be either.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment