Friday 12 July 2013

It's a long and weary road we travel!!

12th July 2010 was the day I finished my cancer treatment. So I am now 3 years cancer free - or am I?
How do I know I'm cancer free?

Having cancer isn't like having a headache - you know when a headache has gone! But cancer??
I've not actually had any routine follow ups since my treatment ended so I guess that kind of adds to the apprehension a little.

My Oncologist was that convinced that he'd done his job that he obviously felt there was no need to keep an eye on me with regular check ups.

At first, the fact that I'd been left without the safety net of check ups was very disconcerting, but I've gradually got over that feeling and no longer think about it.
Until recently, that is!

You see, its my 50th Birthday next week! And I guess, like everyone else that has reached that milestone, you start to reflect on your life.
There were times, especially when I first got the diagnosis, and when I was going through chemo that I thought I'd never make the next birthday, let alone my 50th!!

I can't actually think of myself as being 3 years cancer free - I am a 3 year survivor!

I guess that's something worth celebrating!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment