Thursday 27 June 2013

My Story - by SB

Continuing on with our guest blogs for September's awareness campaign, here is another survivor's story!

In October 2010 I went to my GP with heavy bleeding during my period only to be told again that "its what happens sometimes and you're just unlucky" so get on with it basically. At this point my partner said I should change my GP so I did and 2 weeks after changing had the worst bleeding and pain ever, so I went and the nurse practitioner couldn't understand why I hadn't been helped.
It was a case of taking spare clothes everywhere as bled for 20 plus days sometimes.

Anyway had a blood test done and she also tested for ovarian cancer and then advised me that she wanted to refer me to hospital whilst waiting for the results and in the meantime wanted me to had a scan as she felt it was too much for me to cope with and we had to get some answers.

The scan showed that the thickness of my womb was too thick and they thought endometriosis was the cause and this only added to the issues. Little did I know what was about to happen.
Got my appointment for November 14th 2010 and couldn't believe how quick it had arrived so went and they took a biopsy of the womb lining.
I went home and 2 weeks went by then my GP rang and said there was a problem with the bloods as they had shown my iron levels were low and that there were signs of ovarian cancer.

Told her was going back to the hospital and she forwarded results. 2 days after this I got a call from the hospital to come in as the biopsy showed Complex Atypical Hyperplasia which is a pre-cancerous condition.

So panic set in but had to keep it together and we decided not to tell the kids anything as didn't want to rock their world too.
Went back to hospital in January 2011 and it was decided that a total hysterectomy would be best as having the severest hyperplasia it could turn quickly.
Had operation on Feb 8th 2011 and it had turned to cancer and had a large fibroid too. Everything was sent away to be checked and in the meantime I went home but what happened in the next 12 days would change our lives forever.

Two days after getting home, my mum went into the same hospital with pneumonia and I had to go into organising mode as she had been looking after 2 elderly gents doing their shopping and bills for them and one of them was her best friend.

I was visiting her and she seemed to be doing ok then suddenly she started not knowing what was going on and to cut a long story short 12 days after my cancer op she passed away to metastatic lung cancer.
I was called back to hospital the day of mums funeral to be told that they found the cancer had gone 1/3 of the way through the lining and they decided that chemo wasn't needed but they were going to get them to check the biopsy again to be sure.

On March 14th I was told they had got it all.

16 months on, surgical menopause isn't easy and I have opted against HRT because of the risks but getting there slowly.

I got myself a job after 12 years and I am doing OK.



If you'd like to share your story or have any interesting comments to make about your journey with womb cancer then please contact us at wombcancersupport@hotmail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment