Wednesday 19 September 2012

My Story - by S.B

Continuing on with our guest blogs for September's awareness campaign, here is another survivor's story!

Being in our 60s, “romantic interludes” between my husband and I are for high days and holidays! It was two days after one such occasion, his birthday, that I started bleeding. My last period had been about 7 years previously and the bleeding I had reminded me of either the first day or last couple of days of a period. Not too heavy but needing a pad. About 9 years previously I had had a polyp removed from my cervix which had caused heavy bleeding and I just thought it must be another of these.
 My GP examined me and couldn’t see anything. She did not think there was anything to be concerned about but said if I wanted she could refer me to the hospital for a thorough examination. When I went I saw the Macmillan CNS Gynaecology/Oncology who examined me and took biopsies. She said there was thickening and my cervix was “spongy”. Without her saying it I got the strong impression that she thought there was something seriously wrong, especially when she asked if I had anyone with me.  I hadn’t.
When I went back for the results and saw the Consultant Gynaecologist I had my daughter with me while my husband waited in the Waiting Room. The Senior Macmillan Cancer Nurse was there and there was a box of tissues on the table. I was told the results were bad, I had endometrial cancer and possible cervical cancer. It was Carcinosarcoma, a rare and aggressive type. My daughter had hoped I was being pessimistic and had not expected this. She was extremely upset as was my husband. I was quite calm as I had expected bad news.

I had my operation and was put in a Gynaecological/Oncology Ward amongst other ladies who were in for non cancer hysterectomies, prolapses, etc. I was very ill after the operation and they couldn’t figure out why my temperature was so high and why I was so sick. For four days and nights I had doctors coming to me for blood samples, I had “umpteen” drips of various things and the worst thing was I overheard other patients talking about how difficult it was to sleep with the doctors coming to me throughout the night.
I had combined chemotherapy for one dose but it made me very ill and my liver was being affected. They cut the drug out that can cause liver damage and gave me another single session. Again I was very ill so they decided to stop it. They said my body could not cope with the chemotherapy.
The upside is they are pretty confident they got it all after removing my uterus, cervix and lymph nodes and in a way my husband saved my life.

So ladies do not ignore any unusual bleeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment